In March 2012, after standing empty for over 2 years, the former Lloyds Bank opened its huge, imposing front doors to a new venture known as ‘Mothertown Fish, Chips & Salad Bar’. The old bank vault door still remains in place and is a lovely feature of the building – our kitchen is now in the vault!
The origins of Lloyds Bank date from 1765, when button maker John Taylor and iron producer and dealer Sampson Lloyd II set up a private banking business in Dale End, Birmingham. The first branch office opened in Oldbury, some six miles (10 km) west of Birmingham, in 1864. The symbol adopted by Taylors and Lloyds was the beehive, representing industry and hard work. A rectangular panel with a relief of a beehive above a garland can be found at the uppermost point of the building.